Tuesday, July 24, 2007

obliviating ilya

a commenter on HP7 on making light explains

For US readers: pretty much every soap opera and TV serial in the UK, when they want to get rid of a character but hold open the possibility of their return, will have that character "move to Australia". (In Australian soaps, the character will move to Perth)

which is why ilya gridneff basks in the land of eternal sunshine and chlamydiac koalas

another commenter:

Chapter 6:
"I've also modified my parents' memories so that they're convinced they're really called Wendell and Monica Wilkins blah blah Australia blah emotion."

Chapter 9:
"You're the boss," said Ron, sounding profoundly relieved. "But I've never done a Memory Charm." // "Nor have I," said Hermione, "but I know the theory."

4 comments:

Leitmotifish said...

To paperpools--

Knowing you have non-English speaking readers of the blog you maybe should not write anything about Harry Potter……at least until the release of the translations of major languages (Hebrew December 7th, Israeli Arabic December 12)

Also, in Israel (where the Home and away Australian show is very very popular, and where almost ALL young Israelis go to Awesomely Alienated Australia to "lose themselves" or "find themselves" after the army) ONE of the major dilemmas that came up in the Israeli water fountains when one of the home and away characters was thinking of joining the army is:

After an Australian soldier finishes HIS army service, where does he go to find himself?

and the answer must be:
gorgeous gaza.

Helen DeWitt said...

I don't have anything else to say about HP. Sending a couple of characters off to Australia under the delusion that their names are Wendell and Monica Wilkins strikes me as a plot device whose ingenuity has few parallels in modern fiction.

Anonymous said...

I did try and get into the West Bank for some 'down time' in Ramallah but the Israeli authorities thought I was threat to national security and put me in a 'ho-jail*' for a week.
Ilya

*ho-jail is an Israeli term used to describe the holding faciliting I was detained in July 2006 when denied entry into Tel Aviv.
As the police chief told me, to protests the Arabs nor various other axis of evil states had never put me in jail like the Israelis now had - thus a telling syllogism on his notion of Middle East hospitality and democracy- he shouted angrily: "This is not a jail, this is a 'ho-jail - half hotel - half jail."
Ho hum.

Helen DeWitt said...

Look, count yourself lucky you got shipped out to Munich. NEXT time we'll send you back to PERTH.