Thursday, August 12, 2010

ESPN's Bill Simmons (aka The Sports Guy) recently suggested that the primary cause of dwindling interest in Red Sox games by fans is that baseball games these days are too long. "It's not that fun to spend 30-45 minutes driving to a game, paying for parking, parking, waiting in line to get in, finding your seat ... and then, spend the next three-plus hours watching people play baseball", he says.

Erm, I always thought the reason I thought baseball games were too long was that I was not interested in baseball. Had not considered the possibility that a 3-hour game might put off people who actually liked the game.
Revolutions (New about R &c) offers a plot in ggplot2 to determine, anyway, whether the data support the claim that games are getting longer.

2 comments:

Giles W said...

That's not so long, a cricket match can last five days, and there's no guarantee of a result at the end. The upside is that you can get through some serious reading, often in pleasant surroundings and company (I once got through The Magic Mountain at Lord's during a test match between England and the West Indies) and I got to watch Gary Sobers bat and bowl.

Helen DeWitt said...

I know, I know, I know. Baseball is to cricket as Episcopalianism is to Judaism. A world in which a one-day-match counts as LONG.