Saturday, May 1, 2010

My first encounter with Beckett was when I was studying in Minnesota and I acted in a student production of Krapp's Last Tape.

...

Since then I must have read Waiting for Godot – of course – a hundred times. Every time I go back to Beckett he seems more subversive, not less; his works make me feel more uncomfortable than they did before. The unsettling idea, most explicit in Godot, that life is habit – that it is all just a series of motions devoid of meaning – never gets any easier.

Nick Clegg in today's Guardian


This would be unremarkable in a French politician; I can't remember the last time a British or American politician chose a literary favourite that didn't look calculated to reassure, one way or another.



2 comments:

Jenny Davidson said...

I too was amazed!

Unknown said...

the man has hidden depths - the other 2 appear not have even hidden shallows nor overt depths