Wednesday, June 24, 2009

going bonkers

Apparently involved in some kind of dodgy deal. Which I can't talk about. Which makes jumping off a bridge look so good.

I think I should just go back to the States, move with in my long-suffering mother and start a degree in statistics at the University of Maryland. Spend the rest of my life among statisticians. Be sane.

When I wake up in the morning, I always think what a bad idea it is to get out of bed. As long as I stay in bed nothing can go wrong. And every day I make the same mistake.

Meanwhile. Inference for R can now be used with PowerPoint. Trying to write a story for the New Yorker which incorporates this thrilling fact.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think being a statician qualifies as a sane choice. I once took a course of one semester on statistics. I still carry the scars.

But that's me.

Keep writing.

Anonymous said...

I have to believe that long-suffering mothers, Maryland, and statistics are infinitely preferable to jumping from the bridge. Of course, being a statistician, I'm biased, but that never stopped anyone in the blogosphere.

Non carborundum illegitimus est.

Hot, sunny in BNA today; summer now upon us, days growing shorter. Sitting at Burger King, posting wirelessly via Crackberry on a Berliner's blog. Ain't technology grand?

NV said...

Statistics, sure. I know a writer who's an academic mathematician as a day job. Don't know about moving in with mom though. Hope tomorrow's better.

Anonymous said...

The Terrapin basketball team is going to be great this year. Their Venezuelan superstar is back for his final year of eligibility. Perhaps he could inspire some John Le Carreish fanfic or at the very least help you lose your voice in a crowd.

Anonymous said...

Keep using R. Every day spent coding R brings a noticeable improvement in my general wellbeing. It makes the drudge work involved in physically collecting the data worthwhile.

Do you have a good text editor? Get one that automatically colours your code for maximum excellence.

Uidr said...

I've been meaning to ask you if you know about Worldview Manager …
http://scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=362