Saturday, June 26, 2010

Britain Britain Britain

Andrew Gelman has a post in which he links to an old post of mine on Seth Godin. Andrew took me to endorse the position of Seth Godin. (Divided by a common language, Bill, divided by a common language.)

I went back to look at my old post. What I said was that Seth Godin had a fresh perspective.

Um.

Andrew.

Um.

Oh Lord.

When I say that Seth Godin has a fresh perspective on an issue, what I mean is something like, Seth Godin is a monster raving loony who has boldly gone where no man has gone before; you and I, not being paid-up members of the Monster Raving Loony Party, had never in our wildest dreams imagined that anyone could put this forward as a serious position, we can now feel that we are not alone in the world because standing shoulder to shoulder in gobsmacked amazement.

Yes. All this conveyed in the simple phrase 'fresh perspective'.

Britain. Britain. Britain. You have destroyed my career, Britain, but I am unable not to love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, indeed....

Stephen said...

But, see, 'Intonation is notoriously difficult to convey in typed speech'.

Typed speech - they ought to have a word for that.